Aztec black bean soup
3 cans black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 can Pinto or Red Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
1 can Refried Black Beans
1 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
2 large carrots (petite diced)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 medium Onion (petite diced)
6 cups Vegetable Broth
1/2 fresh Green Bell Pepper (petite diced)
1/2 cup corn kernels (optional)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Ground Smoked Paprika
1/4 tsp Ground Chipotle
2 tsp Chinese Chili Garlic Paste (optional)
2 tbsp fresh Cilantro (minced)
1/2 cup Red Quinoa or 1 cup cooked rice
2 cups H2O
Queso Fresco, Cotija Cheese or Parmesan
Prep. Time → 20 min
Cook Time → 30 min
1. In at least a 6 quart stock pot over medium-high heat, saute carrots, onion, garlic, and oil, stirring frequently
2. Add chili paste, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and chipotle. Mix well.
3. Add quinoa and H2O. Stir together.
4. Add beans and refried beans. Stir well.
5. Add bell pepper and cilantro. (also corn kernels if including)
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
8. Serve with crumbled tortilla chips or croutons. Garnish with crumbled Queso Fresco, Cotija, or Parmesan.
Author Original recipe developed from hybridizing multiple sources.
No one has liked this recipe.