Bacon, egg, and toast cups
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
6 slices bacon
6 large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Prep. Time → 15 min
Cook Time → 15 min
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups.
3. With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.
4. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.)
5. Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts.
8. Serve immediately.
9. Cook's Note
Standard muffin pans come in 6- or 12-cup size; if baking 6 items in a 12-cup pan, leave empty space in between. Nonstick pans are nice but not essential. Beware of very thin pans, which often lead to burning. Place pans on a baking sheet to make them easier to get in and out of the oven.
main courses October 29, 2011 03:31