Basic sweet bread
1/2 cup milk, warmed to 110F
1/4 cup sugar
1 active yeast packet
1/2 cup butter, room temperature and cubed
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs plus 1 yolk, divided
2 1/2 cups flour
200g sweet paste of choice (taro, poppyseed, red bean, etc)
1. Add milk to a large bowl. Sprinkle sugar into milk and stir vigorously for a few seconds. Sprinkle yeast onto mixture and stir just to combine. Allow yeast to proof for ten minutes, then stir vigorously for one minute to dissolve the yeast.
2. Add the butter, salt, 1 egg and egg yolk to the milk. Whisk mixture vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, until eggs are smooth.
3. Dust a work surface with flour. Add flour one cup at a time to the milk mixture and mix with a large wooden or plastic spoon until dough is soft and slightly tacky but not sticky. Transfer dough to work surface and knead for 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Place dough in large bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place. Once dough has risen, use for appropriate sweet bread recipe.
5. Swirl bread: Divide dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion into an oblong shape (about 3”x5”), spread paste on half of the dough with about 0.5” of the edges uncovered. Fold the dough to encase the filling, pinch the edges so the paste doesn’t leak out. Make two slits lengthwise. Pull slightly while twisting the dough a couple of times. Create a ring by connecting the two ends. Place swirled dough on to a greased and floured 9” cake pan. Repeat for the other 7 portions. Cover the cake pan with a wet kitchen towel/saran plastic wrap, and let the dough proof until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour in a warm kitchen. Once the dough has finished proofing, preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Make an egg wash by mixing together 1 egg + 1 teaspoon of milk/water. Brush the top of bread dough liberally with egg wash, and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Loaf rolls: Line a large baking sheet
with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Transfer the dough to the work surface and knead it for 1 minute. Divide the dough into two equal pieces, and lightly flour the work surface and a rolling pin. Roll the dough out into a 12x18 rectangle. Spoon half of the filling onto the dough, spreading it evenly to the edges. Starting at the short end of the dough, gently roll the dough into a log, creating a 12-inch long log. Repeat this process with the remaining dough and filling. Preheat the oven to 375F. Transfer the logs to the prepared baking sheet, placing them seam side down. Space the logs at least 3 inches apart. Cover the baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to proof for about 45 minutes, or until it has doubled in size. After the dough has proofed, beat the remaining egg in a small bowl. Use a pastry whisk to brush the beaten egg over each log. Bake the bread for 35 to 45 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
Author Beyond Borscht, https://dailycookingquest.com/taro-sw...
No one has liked this recipe.