Chocolate, toffee & peanut squares
200g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
100g caster sugar
200g butter, softened and diced
300g self-raising flour, sifted
400ml dulce de leche or boiled condensed milk
125g salted peanuts, roughly chopped
You will also need
20 x 30cm (8x 12in) Swiss roll tin
Prep. Time → 15 min
Cook Time → 16 min
1. 1.Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°C/Gas Mark 4. Line the base of the Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
2. 2.In a food processor, whiz together the caster sugar, butter and flour for the shortbread base until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Alternatively, rub together the butter and flour in a bowl with your fingertips and stir in the sugar. Tip into the prepared tin and press down with your hands or a palette knife to level out the mixture.
3. 3.Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown all over, then remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
4. 4.Once it is cool, spread over the dulce de leche to cover the shortbread, then press the roughly chopped peanuts into it, making sure they are evenly distributed.
5. 5.Place the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to melt. Remove from the heat and pour over the peanut- studded dulce de leche, allowing it to cool, then leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set. Once set, cut the mixture into squares in the tin and serve.
Author Mario De'Cristofano
No one has liked this recipe.