Cordon bleu casserole
1-1/2 pound of cooked chicken meat, shredded (you can use leftovers or use rotisserie chicken, discard the bones)
1 package of lean ham, sliced
Swiss cheese slices (enough to cover the casserole)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
For the sauce
1 can of evaporated milk (12 ounces)
butter or oil (to taste)
1 chicken bouillon cube*
2 tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping
1/2 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon of butter
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/4 teaspoon of white ground pepper
* Swap the chicken bouillon cube for 1/2 cup of chicken broth if you want the sauce to be juicier.
Prep. Time → 30 min
Cook Time → 30 min
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a casserole pan with a little bit of butter or your preferred oil.
2. To make the sauce, melt some butter or heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the evaporated milk, the chicken bouillon cube, the mustard, nutmeg and season to taste. Let it cook to desired thickness whisking it often over low heat.
3. While the sauce cooks, assemble your casserole. Spread the shredded chicken evenly and season it with salt, lemon juice and the garlic powder. Make a second layer with the ham slices and finalize with a layer of the cheese. Use just enough to cover the chicken entirely. Pour the sauce evenly to cover your casserole.
4. To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a pan, add the Panko crumbs, the onion and garlic powder, the white pepper, and the dried basil. Add the topping over your casserole and pop it in the oven until it's bubbly and golden brown, around 30 minutes. Allow 10 minutes to cool down before serving it.
5. TIP #1 (optional): You can wait until the sauce is done and spread a thin layer of it on the casserole before adding the chicken. Once the chicken is assembled, sprinkle it with a little bit of sauce before adding the ham.
6. I have modified this recipe from the original to reduce significantly the amount of breadcrumbs used. We found the breadcrumbs in the original recipe to be overwhelming.
No one has liked this recipe.