Deep dish polenta pie
1.5 cups polenta
1/2 tsp salt
4.5 cups water - or more
Fillings and Toppings
3/4 lb italian sausage
3/4 lb mozzarella
2 cups tomato sauce
1 red pepper
1/4 cup green olives
1/2 clove elephant garlic
Prep. Time → 120 min
Cook Time → 30 min
1. I made this up, intending to make two layer deep dish pizza, but forgot to make the crust (yeast raised - not enough time or even enough flour left in the house). Thought of polenta and voilà. Though even polenta takes a couple hours (to cook and cool down), it's not a quick recipe. This was delicious! Feel free to change the toppings, though the sausage filling is necessary in my opinion, you could try something else, like mushrooms to make it vegetarian.
3. 1. Put water in pan, and add salt and polenta.
4. 2. Heat to boiling, then turn down to a simmer (barely bubbling) while covered.
5. 3. Cook for about 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes longer, especially if it's coarsely ground.
6. 4. Stir occasionally - but this method is meant to be easier than the traditional stir constantly method (which I think was necessary on old stoves where the temperature was not easily controlled! - many years ago!)
7. 5. Take off heat and pour into well oiled baking dish - 8 by 12 or so will work.
8. 6. Smooth out top and chill for about an hour or even over night.
9. 7. Remove the polenta to a cutting board and slice into two pieces - like a layer cake. This can be difficult, but don't worry if you have a few pieces!
10. 8. An alternative is to pour into a taller oiled square or rectangular container (plastic works well) and let cool completely - letting it set up, then unmold and slice about 1/4 inch thick - don't worry if you have mistakes.
12. 1. Put a layer of polenta into the bottom of the baking pan (8X12) again still well oiled. If you have one large piece, great, otherwise put in many pieces to cover the bottom, but don't worry if there are small gaps. Make sure there is enough for layer 2.
13. 2. Cover with italian sausage, pressing it down or making patties in you hand and putting them on the polenta layer.
14. 3. Then slice cheese over all the sausage.
15. 4. Next put another layer of polenta over all.
16. 5. Cover this with the tomato sauce, and the other ingredients all sliced thinly. You can put more cheese on top if you wish.
17. 6. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes till the sausage is done, and the top is browned a little.
No one has liked this recipe.