Goi chay (vegetarian goi ga or vietnamese chicken salad)
1 head Savoy Cabbage (shredded thin)
1/2 Large Red Onion (sliced thin)
1 large Carrot (julienned)
Fresh Mung Bean Sprouts
2 cloves minced Garlic (minced)
2 tbsp Sugar
1/8 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1/8 Golden Mountain sauce
1/4 cup Rau Ram aka Vietnamese Coriander (chopped)
1/2 cup fresh Mint (chopped)
1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
4 to 5 red Thai Chilies (minced)
2 tbsp Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
1/3 cup Roasted Peanuts (crushed & chopped)
Thai Fried Garlic
Thai Fried Red Onion/Shallots
Prep. Time → 30 min
1. In a very large mixing bowl, combine garlic, sugar, Thai chilies, vinegar, Golden Mountain Sauce, and the juice of 2 large limes. Mix well and set aside.
2. Slice the red onion very thin and add to mixture. Toss well.
3. Chop the Rau Ram, mint, and cilantro then add to mixture. Toss again.
4. Slice the cabbage very thin and add to mixture.
5. Peel Carrot and run through mandolin, then cut stack of carrot shreds into 3 equal lengths. Add to mixture and toss again.
6. Add chopped peanuts and Thai sweet chili sauce to mixture and toss one last time to evenly distribute all ingredients throughout salad.
7. Taste salad. Adjust salty/sweet accordingly.
8. Serve with fresh bean sprouts and sprinkle with crunchy fried onion and garlic. You can also add a sprig of cilantro if you want to be fancy.
9. *Note- Fresh Thai chilies, Rau Ram, fried garlic, and fried red shallots can be easily secured at any decent Asian grocery store. Also, I recommend using fresh mint purchased at your local supermarket.
Author Original recipe developed from hybridizing multiple sources.
No one has liked this recipe.