165g self-raising flour
30g unsweetened cocoa powder
220g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
250g icing sugar, sifted
60g unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
2 tbsp orange juice
Orange cachous, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180c (350F/Gas 4).
Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Add the egg, milk, melted butter and orange zest and beat with electric beaters for 2 minutes, or until well combined and smooth.
3. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
4. To make the orange buttercream, place 125g of the icing sugar, the butter zest and orange juice in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar and beat until the cream is thick.
5. Decorate each cake with buttercream and orange cachous.