1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
1-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground ancho chile, or 1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth, divided
2 Tbsp masa or cornmeal
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add jalapeno pepper, cumin, ancho chile or chili powder and oregano. Stir until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Take care not to let them burn.
2. Add beans, tomatoes and all but 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Bring chili to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine masa or cornmeal and remaining broth, stirringto make a smooth mixture. Add to chili, blending well. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
4. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Simmer 10 more minutes. For best flavor, refrigerate 1-2 hours. Before serving, reheat.
6. Nutrition Information: 227 calories, 5g fat, 35g carbs, 12g protein, 12g fiber