Mix-and-match seafood foil packet
Choose your seafood. (These options each serve 4.)
Salmon, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
Large shrimp, 1 1/2 pounds (peeled and deveined; tails intact)
Striped bass, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
Halibut, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
Cod, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
Mussels, 3 pounds (scrubbed and debearded)
Choose your vegetables. (Pick 2 vegetables and prep 4 cups total.
Bell peppers, thinly sliced
Red onion, thinly sliced
Corn kernels, thawed if frozen
Carrots, thinly sliced
Artichoke hearts, thawed if frozen
Fennel, thinly sliced
Leeks, thinly sliced
Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Canned chickpeas or other beans, drained and rinsed
Potatoes, cut into small pieces and boiled
Mushrooms, thinly sliced
Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
Zucchini or yellow squash, thinly sliced
Baby greens (use just 1 cup per packet)
Choose a Topping
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 stick butter, softened
3 scallions, sliced
2 teaspoons ginger, ground or grated
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Smoky Red Pepper Oil
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 garlic clove, grated
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Prep. Time → 10 min
Cook Time → 15 min
1. Assemble the packets: Lay out 4 large sheets of heavy-duty foil (use a double layer of foil for mussels). Mound 1 cup vegetables in the center of each, season with salt and pepper and top with a sprig of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano or rosemary. Put the fish or seafood on top of the vegetables; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Add a splash of white wine or water. Bring the short ends of the foil together and fold twice to seal; fold in the sides to seal, leaving room for steam.
2. Grill or bake the packets: Grill or campfire: Preheat a grill to medium high or light a campfire and put a cooking grate in place. Grill the foil packets until the fish is just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (While the packets are cooking, make your topping, Step 5.) Let the packets sit 5 minutes, then carefully open and add your topping.
3. Oven: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Put the foil packets on a baking sheet; bake until the fish is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. (While the packets are cooking, make your topping, Step 5.) Let the packets sit 5 minutes, then carefully open and add your topping.
4. Make a topping (or make your own creation): Lemon-Coriander Seasoning: Toast 1 tablespoon each coriander seeds and mustard seeds in a dry skillet. Coarsely grind in a spice grinder (or crush with a skillet). Mix with 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper.
5. Ginger-Scallion Butter: Pulse 1/2 stick softened butter, 3 sliced scallions, 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a mini food processor until smooth.
6. Smoky Red Pepper Oil: Puree 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers (or piquillo peppers) with 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 grated garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and ground cumin until smooth.
No one has liked this recipe.