Red potato soup
1 large Red Onion (diced)
3 or 4 large Carrots (peeled & diced)
4 or 5 stalks Celery (sliced or diced)
9 to 10 Red Potatoes (diced)
2 Yellow Gold Potatoes (peeled & diced)
4 cups Vegetable Broth
2+ cups H2O
1 or 2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil or Olive Oil
1 or 2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper (at least)
2+ tsp Salt (to taste)
Red Chili Flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp Simply Organic All Purpose Seasoning (optional)
Prep. Time → 25 min
Cook Time → 35 min
1. In at least a 6-Quart Stock pot saute onion, carrots, and celery in oil and butter for apx. 5 minutes until onion becomes glassy.
2. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, and any other spices*. Mix well.
3. *Note* For reference, "Simply Organic" All Purpose Seasoning lists its ingredients as organic onion, black pepper, garlic, parsley, celery seed, tomato powder, basil, thyme, oregano, sage, and coriander -in that order.
4. Add 4 cups broth and apx. 2 cups H2O -enough to just cover/submerge mixture. Stir well and bring to a boil.
5. Cook for 10 minutes then remove from heat source and let sit for 5+ minutes.
6. Strain hot vegetables from broth and place in blender. Add apx. 1/2 cup cold H2O to each blender full of hot vegetables and blend* until smooth, adding more H2O if necessary in order to keep slurry circulating. Empty each round of blended slurry into large bowl until all vegetables have been blended.
7. *Note* Be sure to hold down blender cap when blending to avoid steam pressure explosion!
8. Pour blended slurry back into broth mixture sitting in pot. Stir to combine.
9. Add salt to taste and bring back up to temp.
10. Serve with croutons and/or toasted slices of sourdough.
Author Original recipe developed from hybridizing multiple sources.