Slow cooker euro deli casserole. (pierogi, pastrami, and sauerkraut)
1 )1/2 large red onion
2) 1/4 of a stick of butter (doesn't matter what kind, But I suggest UNsalted)
3) Garlic powder, to taste
4) Package of pierogies ( whatever flavor your heart desires)
5) 1LB of Boars Head pastrami ( I like it thinly sliced)
6) Just enough beef broth ( the less sodium the better bc the pastrami has enough), to moisten the pastrami.. comes out to less than 1/4 of the can.
7) A small can or bag of sauerkraut
8) 1/2 LB of swiss cheese ( Again, since pastrami has so much sodium, you can cut the sodium with the cheese by going with alpine lace.)
9) A few slices of rye bread
10) 1,000 island dressing
Prep. Time → less than 10 minutes min
Cook Time → varies. refer to directions min
1. SUPER EASY!
2. 1st- Saute most of the onion with the butter, and however much garlic powder you like. You dont have to soften them completely, as they will cook more in the slow cooker.
3. 2nd- Line the bottom of the slow cooker ( or casserole dish if putting in the oven) with pierogies. And then cover them with the onion and garlic butter mix.
4. 3rd-layer half of the pastrami, completely covering the dish. Then moisten with beef broth. Repeat with the remaining pastrami and some more broth.
5. 4th-layer in your sauerkraut, and top with remaining onion slices ( I like to use the smaller slices for the butter, and the larger round ones on the top.. usually like 6), then cheese, and depending on your preference? Crumble the toasted rye bread all over this delicious goodness, either at first, or a few minutes before you serve it.
6. You can let it sit for 3 hours on low in the slow cooker if you want. Or you can be impatient, and take it out after an hour and a half. I personally like letting my pastrami soak in the broth longer. But Its still yummy if you can't wait, or want to even put it in the oven at 350 till its nice and hot.
7. Before you turn off your cooker or oven, and serve? Set up everyones plates with 1,000 dressing, coleslaw, extra rye, and any other sides, bc once you take the lid off, Theres no way you're not going to want to just dig in right away. And when something is THIS irresistible? You don't want to waste time. lol.
main courses, cheese, delicious, easy, easy cooking, fall, german, hot, onions, slow cooker, winter, yummy, pierogi, sauerkraut, pastrami, polish, jewish, cheesy, beef broth, moist, inexpensive, affordable, cold day, oktoberfest, everyone loves, deli, easy cleanup January 07, 2012 23:21
No one has liked this recipe.