Strawberry icebox pie with a twist
10 graham crackers
1 cup Coco Treasure Coconut Sugar
5 tablespoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil, melted
½ cup orange juice
2 quarts ripe strawberries, cleaned, hulled and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon white cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place graham crackers in a sealed bag. Roll and smash with a rolling pin until fine crumbs or pulse them in a food processor. Stir 2 tablespoons of the coconut sugar and all of the melted coconut oil into the graham crumbs.
2. Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom and sides of a standard 9-inch pie plate.
3. Bake the crust approximately 13 minutes or until it just begins to brown. Transfer to a cooking rack. Crust should be completely cool before pouring in the filling.
4. Combine the remaining sugar, orange juice, 2 cups of strawberries, cornstarch and salt in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir frequently, gently mashing the berries with the back of a spoon as they cook. Cook about 1 minute or until the mixture becomes very thick. Remove from heat and cool 3-5 minutes.
5. Stir the remaining strawberries and the orange zest into the cooked berries. Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
6. Before serving, whip the cream until soft peaks just begin to form. Add the sugar and vanilla, continue beating until soft peaks are completely formed.
7. Spread whipped cream over the top of the pie, leaving a neat 1-inch border around the edge. Garnish with thin slices of orange peel and whole berries if desired.