Texas sheet cake
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup water
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs (whisked)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 lb powdered sugar (approx 3 1/2 cups)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
1. You will need: 13 inch x 18 inch x 1 inch jelly roll pan, nonstick cooking spray, mixing bowls, medium saucepan
2. Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a 13 inch x 18 inch x 1 inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk the mixture until well combined and set aside.
4. In a medium sauce pan over med heat add 1 cup of butter, water, and 1/3 cup cocoa powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often, then remove from heat and add to the flour mixture. Mix to combine then add the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
5. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20-22 mins, or until cake springs back when gently pressed in the centre and the edges of the cake are coming away from the sides of the pan.
6. While the cake is baking prepare the frosting. In a med bowl combine 1/2 cup melted butter, milk, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Add the powdered sugar to a large bowl and add the butter mixture and vanilla. Whisk until no lumps remain. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel until the cake has finished baking.
7. Pour the frosting on the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Spread the frosting to the edges of the cake.
8. Then immediately sprinkle the toasted pecans over the frosting.
9. Let the cake cool completely to room temperature before serving.
desserts January 11, 2021 23:15
No one has liked this recipe.