The best fish tacos + baja sauce
2lbs of firm white fish, cut into 1/2 in pieces
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (+/- to taste), diced up with seeds
3 spoonfuls of the adobo sauce
3/4 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
Juice of 2 limes
Salt, pepper, chipotle spice, chili powder, garlic powder, etc.
3-4 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
2-3 spoonfuls of adobo sauce
Juice of 1-2 limes
Chipotle spice and/or chili powder
Prep. Time → 45+ min
Cook Time → 30 min
1. For Baja Sauce: combine all sauce ingredients. Adjust the adobo sauce and lime juice to taste. It shouldn't be spicy or too sour, but have a little kick and a little tang. This sauce gets better with time, so it's best to make this as early as you can. The day before, even.
2. For Fish: Combine all the fish ingredients. Squish it up real good with your hands, get all those spices and flavors all up in that fish. Smell it and make sure you can smell enough chipotle and lime. You can add more chipotle peppers/adobe sauce or lime juice if you need it.
3. Add enough warm water to just cover the fish, and let marinade for as long as you can wait but at least 30 minutes.
4. Heat a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add fish and marinade, cook just until the water evaporates, about 25-30 minutes.
5. Serve on warmed corn tortillas, with a few slices of avocado, a generous amount of baja sauce, crumbled cotija cheese, and cilantro.
6. Best enjoyed with a bottled mexican beer.
No one has liked this recipe.