Vegan glutenfree mediterranean rolls
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
275 ml warm (not hot) rice milk (or non-dairy milk of your choice)
50 g vegan margarine
350 g glutenfree white flour mix - mine contains
220 g white rice flour
35 g corn flour
35 g tapioca flour
50 g potato flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon xantham gum
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
15 ml easy blend dry yeast
1/2 cup (120 ml) vegan pesto
1 large handful basil leaves
1 large handful chopped sundried tomatoes
Prep. Time → 20 min
Cook Time → 70-80 min
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Make a "flax egg" by mixing 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with three tablespoons of water. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the dough.
3. In a large bowl mix the glutenfree flour mix with the salt, xantham gum, and sugar.
4. Melt the margarine and add to the rice milk. Add the yeast and the "flax egg" and mix well.
5. Pour the mixture into the bowl with flour mix and mix well with a big spoon or a spatula. This will be a fairly wet dough, don't be alarmed.
6. Spray two sheets of baking paper (about the size of a cookie sheet) with oil or non-stick spray. Drop the dough onto one of the oiled sheets, but the other sheet on top and with a rolling pin spread/roll the dough between the two sheets until it is roughly the size of an A4/letter piece of paper.
7. Pull off the top sheet and pop it onto a cookie sheet (or use a new sheet of baking paper). Spread the pesto onto the dough and sprinkle over basil leaves and sundried tomatoes. Then roll the dough up tightly. With a sharp wet knife, cut it into about 9 rolls.
8. Put your rolls on the prepared cookie sheet in three rows of three. Cover them with oiled cling film and let them raise for 30-45 minutes. Then pop them in the pre-heated oven for about 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown.
9. Note: This is great for an Italian dinner party, served with some dips and antipasti, or fantastic for a picnic.
No one has liked this recipe.