Vegetable pad thai
8 oz dry Rice Sticks
1/4 cup Tamarind Paste Concentrate (or Vinegar)
1/4 cup Palm Sugar (or 1/8c brown + 1/8c white)
1/8 cup Fish Sauce
1/8 cup Golden Mountain Sauce (or soy)
3/4 cup Vegetable Broth
2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
1 clove Garlic - minced
1 or 2 medium Carrot - sliced
4-5 red Thai Chilies - seeded & minced
1/4 cup crushed Peanuts
2 sprigs fresh Thai Basil (or Italian basil) - chopped
3 sprigs fresh Cilantro - chopped
8 oz superfirm Tofu - cubed
1 crown Broccoli (or other vegetable) - chopped
2 large Eggs
2-3 Green Onions/Scallions
fresh Mung Bean Sprouts
Prep. Time → 35 min
Cook Time → 10 min
1. Soak noodles in warm H2O for 20 minutes then drain.
2. Separate tamarind pulp by soaking in 1/2 cup hot H2O while noodles are soaking. Then strain through sieve into mixing bowl.
3. Whisk together tamarind, sugar, fish sauce, Golden Mountain sauce, and vegetable broth. Set aside.
4. Sear garlic, tofu, carrot, and chilies in 1 tbsp oil for 5-6 minutes. Set aside in bowl.
5. Scramble eggs lightly in 1 tbsp oil and set aside in bowl with tofu mixture.
6. Combine sauce mixture, noodles, and broccoli and cook for 5 or 6 minutes until sauce gets 2/3 absorbed into noodles, then remove heat source and add tofu mixture and eggs. Mix well adding additional splashes of water if mixture gets too dry.
7. Add peanuts, basil, and cilantro. Mix well.
8. Serve with fresh squeezed lime, scallions, and bean sprouts.
Author Original recipe developed from hybridizing multiple sources.
No one has liked this recipe.