Vegetarian tofu chow mein
1 clove garlic
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. milk
2c. vegetable broth
1 block extra firm tofu
1 c. rice
1 package crunchy chow mein noodles
Prep. Time → 10 min
Cook Time → 20-30 min
1. Cut the tofu into small blocks. Arrange the tofu pieces flatly on a cutting board and use cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel press as much water as you can out of the tofu. Press gently to keep from breaking the blocks.
2. Lightly marinate tofu in soy sauce for a little flavor.
3. The tofu can now be fried or baked. To fry the tofu add a small amount of oil to a medium skillet and cook the tofu pieces until they are browned slightly on each side. To bake, arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or so at 375 degrees.
4. Mince garlic and finely chop your onions.
5. Add 1/3 c. oil to large skillet or wok, then add the garlic. Turn heat to medium temperature. After the oil begins to heat up add the onions.
6. Cook garlic and onions until they begin to become tender.
7. Add 1/3 c. flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
8. Slowly add in milk and broth, alternating between the two, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You may not use all of the broth.
9. This mixture should begin to thicken. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or just until your tofu is finished cooking! :)
10. Serve tofu and vegetarian gravy over a bed of rice and chow mein noodles.