4 Red Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and grated
1 cup of water
2 cups of sugar
1 Orange, zested and juiced, you will need the zest and the juice
1/2 cup of almonds (or any other nut that you prefer), chopped
1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a 2 quart saucepan bring together the water and the sugar and bring to a boil.
2. Cook for a minute longer and add in the grated apples.
3. Mix in the orange zest, orange juice and the chopped nuts
4. Continue to cook over medium heat until the syrup has been absorbed by the apple mixture. This might take around 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool down a bit before putting it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
6. In the meantime, mix together the coconut and cinnamon, and put in a shallow dish.
7. Pinch off a bit of the apple mixture and shape into balls by rolling between the palms of your hands. This will be a sticky situation, so if you prefer, you can use powder-free vinyl or latex gloves.
8. Put the apple bites into the coconut mixture and roll around until coated.
9. Place all the apple bites into a plastic container, cover, and allow to set in the freezer for 2 hours, or put them in the refrigerator over night.
desserts July 05, 2011 14:55