Bacon & bean soup
10 to 12 strips bacon or Italian salami, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 carrot, peeled & diced
3 garlic cloves
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups (= 700 ml) chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup (=120 ml) tomato sauce/ passata
Salt & pepper to taste
Prep. Time → 10 min
Cook Time → 60 min
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon/salami and cook until crispy, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove to a paper- towel lined plate.
2. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the bacon grease. Cook for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add the beans and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Add the bay leaf.
4. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for approx. 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove the bay leaf from the soup, transfer the soup to a blender or grab an immersion blender. Carefully pulse the soup until the desired consistency is reached.
6. Add tomato sauce to the soup. Stir to combine. Add 1/2 of the bacon/salami back into the soup, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Portion soup into serving bowls and garnish with remaining bacon.
No one has liked this recipe.