Beetroot and chickpea burgers
For the burger patties
400 g can of chickpeas, drained
Zest of 1 lemon
1 medium egg
75 g beetroot, peeled and grated
1⁄2 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
100 g halloumi, grated
50 g fresh white breadcrumbs
50 g quinoa
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
For the tahini sauce
2 heaped Tbsp (unhulled) tahini
2 heaped Tbsp plain yoghurt
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
6 burger buns
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
mustard, ketchup, any other sauces
Iceberg lettuce leaves or other lettuce leaves
1. Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor with 1⁄2 tsp sea salt, 1⁄4 tsp white pepper and the lemon zest until the mixture turns to crumbs. Add the egg and beetroot and pulse until it comes together. Empty into a bowl and stir in the onion, halloumi and breadcrumbs.
2. Place the quinoa on a plate. Check the seasoning of the chickpea mixture and then shape into six patties. Press each one into the quinoa to coat on both sides and the edges. Set aside.
3. In the meantime, mix the ingredients together for the tahini sauce.
4. Heat a frying pan, griddle or barbecue. If using a frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the patties in batches for 3 minutes on each side or until the quinoa is crispy. If using a griddle or barbecue, get it nice and hot, then drizzle the patties with a little oil before searing for a few minutes on each side.
5. Assemble the burgers on the buns with all the garnishes and add a big dollop of the tahini dressing.
Author Rachel Khoo
No one has liked this recipe.