6 cups cucumbers, ripe - old and yellow OK!
3 cups green tomatoes
6 medium onions
1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper finely diced.
1/4 cup pickling salt
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbs ground ginger
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 Tbs dried horseradish - or 4 Tbs fresh grated.
1/4 cup dry mustard
1/2 cup water
2 cups white vinegar
Prep. Time → 30 min
Cook Time → 15 min
1. My mustard pickles. Mustard and horseradish are allowed to bloom - to bring out hot oils. Also they are not allowed to boil to preserve it's character as well. Fairly spicy.
2. 1. Seed and peel cucumbers. Slice into 1 by 1/4 inch strips. Cut green tomatoes and onions into same size pieces.
3. 2. In a large glass or stainless steel container, combine cucumbers, green tomatoes, and onions; sprinkle with salt.
4. 3. Let stand 1 hour and drain.
5. 4. Mix water, mustard, and horseradish and let stand an hour also. If using fresh horseradish, put in pickles later when you add this mustard and water mixture.
6. 5. Stir together rest of dry ingredients. Gradually add vinegar. Put in pot and red pepper; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
7. 6. Add drained cucumber mixture; return to a boil.
8. 7. Add mustard and horseradish and turn down heat to low simmer.
9. 8. Ladle pickle mixture into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (1 cm) of top rim.
10. 9. Put on lids and water process (if desired - I don't) put in cool dark place. Leave for a month before enjoying for best flavor.
No one has liked this recipe.