Roasted red pepper & tomato soup w/ herbed crostini
1 Bag Carrots (Chopped) - Save Carrot tops for soup stock
1 Onion (Chopped) - Save Onion skins and ends for soup stock
1 Bunch Celery (Chopped) - Save ends and tops of Celery for soup stock
4 Cloves Fresh Peeled Garlic (Chopped) - Save Garlic skins for soup stock
1 Small Bunch Basil
1 Small Bunch Parsley - Save Parsley stems for soup stock
1 Large Jar Roasted Red Peppers
2 Large Cans Whole or Diced Tomatoes in Juice
1 Large Can Tomato Sauce
Kosher Salt - to taste
Black Pepper - to taste
Onion Powder - 2 Tablespoons
Garlic Powder - 2 Tablespoons
Olive Oil - 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil for Sauteing - Approx. 1/2 - 1 Cup for Crostini
1 Loaf French or Italian Bread - 1 inch slices
Food Processor or Blender
Oven or Toaster Oven
1. Fill one pot with approximately 1/2 gallon water add all the soup stock veggie ends, tops, stems and skins as well as the salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to the water. Boil until veggie bits are tender. Taste soup stock for added seasoning.
2. In 2nd pot...Heat pot...add Olive oil...Saute chopped carrots, onions, celery and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 min. stirring often...after 5 min. ladle in enough soup stock to cover the carrots, onions, celery and garlic (minus veggie bits)...simmer until veggies are tender, then remove from heat and place in a bowl...reserve the pot for making the soup...Which is now your SOUP POT : )
3. Pre-heat oven or toaster oven to 350°
4. Open cans of Tomatoes and jar of Red Peppers...Puree them using either a food processor or blender...Add to Soup Pot.
5. Add Sauteed Veggies to Food Processor or Blender and puree...Add to Soup Pot.
6. Add Canned Tomato Sauce to Soup Pot and enough strained Soup Stock to make a thin puree type soup consistency.
7. Rinse out food processor or blender reservoir...
8. Puree Basil and Parsley in Food Processor or Blender...Add half to Soup Pot...Leaving the other half in the food processor or blender for Crostini bread.
9. Over medium heat, bring soup back up to hot in temperature...stirring often.
Turn off, but leave on stove to stay warm while toasting crostini bread.
10. Add approximately enough Olive Oil to reserved parsley/basil puree still in food processor or blender to create a "Slurry"...Add Salt & Pepper to taste. Pour slurry into a small bowl.
11. Dip one side of each slice of French or Italian bread and place dipped side up onto a baking sheet...toast for only about 1-2 minutes...DON'T STEP AWAY FOR THIS...TRUST ME!...YOU THINK YOU CAN, BUT I HAVE BURNT MORE THAN MY FARE SHARE, THINKING I WILL REMEMBER THEY'RE IN THE OVEN! HEE! HEE!
12. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with your yummy Herbed Crostini! Whoo hoo!
starters July 02, 2014 16:52
Author Nyna Sargent
No one has liked this recipe.