Spaghetti squash casserole
1 large spaghetti squash (instead of a small like the recipe said)
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans of diced Tomatoes, no salt added (I didn't drain these, but I would recommend that for anyone making it - it was a bit watery)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 to 3 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. 1) Cook the squash: cut it in half the long way, scoop out seeds. Place with cut side down in a baking dish; add 1/2 to 1 inch of water. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until it is easily pierced with a fork. Usually it will be slightly browned on top when done.
2. 2) When cool enough to handle, scrape out the squash with a fork - this will make it look spaghetti-like.
3. 3)In a skillet, cook turkey, onion, and garlic (and other items like red pepper, mushrooms, etc. that you may want to add) until meat is browned and the vegetables are tender.
4. 4)Drain the meat/veggie mix and add the tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper and squash. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
5. 5)Transfer to an ungreased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes.
6. 6)Sprinkle with the cheese and parsley - let cook in the oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted, or just let stand a few minutes outside the oven (either would probably work) . Yield: 6-8 servings