Sweet potato chile mac
3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
1 cup fat-free milk
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (use smaller amount for less heat)
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup packed)
8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat macaroni or penne pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces fresh Mexican chorizo or other sausage links, casings removed
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Place potato pieces in a large sauce pan and fill with water until potatoes are covered.
3. Boil potatoes over medium high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft enough to mash
4. Drain potatoes and mash in a large bowl.
5. Stir in milk and next 4 ingredients (through cheese).
6. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
7. Add pasta to sweet potato mixture; set aside.
8. Preheat broiler to high.
9. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
10. Add oil; swirl to coat.
11. Add chorizo (or sausage of choice) to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
12. Place chorizo in a small bowl.
13. Wipe pan clean. Spoon sweet potato mixture into pan; sprinkle evenly with chorizo.
14. Broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Sprinkle with onions and cilantro.
No one has liked this recipe.