For the Tomato Sauce
2 TBSP olive oil
1 large onion diced small (approx 3 cups)
1 green bell pepper diced small (approx 1 1/2 cups)
4 tsp Italian seasoning
2 TBSP minced garlic
1 28-oz can Crushed tomatoes
1 156ml can tomato paste
1 TBSP honey or sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
For the Lasagna
1 package of fresh lasagna sheets
500g ricotta cheese
4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Prep. Time → 45 min
Cook Time → 50 min
1. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, bell pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent and the pepper is tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for one more minute.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey or sugar, salt, and pepper.
3. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, until the sauce comes to a boil. Turn the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the parsley, then remove from the heat.
5. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
6. Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with a bit of non-stick spray & smear a little of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
7. Add a single layer of pasta, cutting to fit as needed. Add 1/2 of the ricotta cheese onto the pasta in small dollops and spread out using a flat spatula.
8. Top with 1/3 of the sauce. Sprinkle on half of the mozzarella.
9. Repeat with a layer of pasta, then the rest of the ricotta, then another third of the sauce, then the remaining mozzarella.
10. Add a last layer of pasta and spread the remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
11. Bake until bubbly and melty and the pasta is tender, about 45 minutes. If the top begins to get brown, cover with foil during the last 10 minutes or so of baking.
12. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
13. Keeps refrigerated covered or in an airtight container for about 3 days. It also keeps frozen for several months. I have also frozen single-portion leftovers in individual freezer bags for quick and easy lunches.
main courses September 14, 2021 17:20
No one has liked this recipe.