Pumpkin and beef casserole
1 Red Kuri (or other small) pumpkin/squash
½ small eggplant, diced
½ tsp fennel seed
½ tsp cummin seed
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ginger powder
¼ tsp coriander
¼ tsp tumeric
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
¼ lb organic ground pork or sausage
½ lb grass fed organic ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
¼ cup chopped carrotts
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped zucchini
¼ cup chopped red or yellow pepper
1 cup chopped kale
1 cup homemade chicken broth
2 tbsp lactose free sour cream or yogurt
1 cup shredded cheese such as co-jack
Prep. Time → 30 min
Cook Time → 90 min
1. Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes. Let cool, peel and cut into 1" chunks (can be done ahead).
2. Prepare eggplant by generously salting it and placing it in a colander. Rinse after at least 30 minutes.
3. Mix the spices (fennel through red pepper flakes) together in a small bowl. Heat olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add the meat and cook until brown. Remove meat, place it in the bottom of an oiled dutch oven or baking dish.
4. Add onions, peppers, celery, carrots, zucchini, kale, and garlic to fry pan and cook until onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add spice mixture and rinsed eggplant and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add pumpkin, chicken broth, sour cream, and half of the cheese.
5. Pour over the meat and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° F for 40 minutes.
Author Jeniffer Brubaker
No one has liked this recipe.