2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small sweet onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
28 oz. - 800 g canned diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 large zucchini cut into 1/8 inch strips (see notes)
sea salt to taste
1 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
1 large egg
1/4 cup grated parmesan
16 oz. - 450 g mozzarella sliced
Freshly ground pepper to taste.
Prep. Time → 40 min
Cook Time → 50 min
1. Preheat oven to 375F / 190 C degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pan, set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, add olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add tomatoes, lemon juice and zest, basil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30-35 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
3. In the meantime, lay out sliced zucchini on a cutting board or surface. Salt the zucchini and set aside for 10 minutes until it starts to create moisture. Use a paper towel to dry zucchini and set aside.
4. To parbake zucchini: lay out zucchini strips in one even layer in 9x13 dish, bake for 5-7 minutes or until it begins to soften and become tender, then set aside. Repeat in batches until all zucchini is parbaked.
5. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta, parmesan and egg. Mix until well combined.
6. Using the same 9x13 dish from before, begin layering lasagna: Spread about 1/2 cup tomato sauce evenly over the bottom, layer zucchini strips to cover, spread 1/2 cup ricotta mixture overtop, then layer mozzarella cheese slices. Repeat the same layers ending with mozzarella on the top layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, drain excess liquid in your sink (making sure the lasagne don't tip over!), bake an additional 20 minutes or until browned and bubbling. Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
No one has liked this recipe.